Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12, 2013

Wow! Time is speeding along, and I can't believe it has been a month since my last entry.
We have been busy and have many things to accomplish before break, and the end of the semester.
We completed reading, A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens. We read the Junior Classic version. I know that many students have seen various versions of the movie and tomorrow we will watch an animated version that is very traditional. We talked about theme, and how the character changed.
We did summaries of each ghost's message, and wrote Diamante Character poems about Scrooge.
The students had fun writing Christmas Carols from  Scrooge's point of view.
Next week we will read, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, and do activities to go with the story.
The students have all written personal narratives and we have been working on getting them typed for the final copy. 
We are coming to the end of Chapter 3 in math, and we will finish this chapter and test over it before break. I plan on taking the test next Thursday. I will send home a study guide tomorrow. This chapter is over multiplication.
We are not formally testing over chapter 4 in Social Studies. Students did the chapter review in the book. This will be their grade over this chapter. We will complete chapter 5 next Thursday and their notes will be their grade for that chapter. 
I handed out the map for the Southern Region today. Their are 15 states. We will have the state and capital quiz over this region January 21. This will also be the due date for the National Park project for the South.
A special note will be coming home tomorrow about our Christmas Party and a small gift exchange that we will be doing. We will draw names tomorrow>
Today we had Reconciliation. I was very proud of how my students conducted themselves during this sacrament. While they waited for their turn they each read the Christmas Story from the Bible.
We have been reading the Christmas story each morning and lighting our Advent Candles. We have also been putting ornaments on the Jesse Tree.
As you can see we have been very busy and still have a lot to do before the semester ends.

Meet Your Teacher:

Welcome to 4th grade. I am Mrs. Susan Smith. This will be my 24rd year teaching at Lourdes Catholic School! I can hardly believe it. I taught 5th grade, 1st grade, and now, this is my seventh year in 4th grade. I love teaching and every year brings new and exciting challenges.I am a graduate of Drake University with a degree in elementary education and a minor in social studies. I believe that every student is special and brings their own uniqueness to our classroom. I look forward to a great year.