Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 3

It is starting to look like fall, although maybe just a little warm yet. We are into the thick of school, and it is hard to believe that we are already scheduling conferences for next week!
Today we had a presentation by Mack Orthodontics about dental care.
In social studies we are studying regions, and why and how the United States is divided into regions.
In math we have started studying multiplication. We are multiplying numbers by 10, 100, and 1000. Today we estimated products.
We have been discussing character traits, and setting in reading. We are learning how to visualize the setting, and how that helps us with the understanding of the story. Today we used a Native American picture book of poems, Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back, to work on this skill.
We have been working on finding sentence fragments, and how to fix them. The students are writing Halloween Stories, and working on using complete sentences, and some are using dialogue.
We are learning about our conscience in Religion, and how it helps us make good choices. Today we made Guardian Angels that will hang in our room for the month of October. I also want to say that I was very proud of each student during our Mass on Wednesday. They all did a fantastic job!
I look forward to meeting with each of you next week at our conference.
Remember, tomorrow is a spirit wear and NUT day dress.
Have a good evening.

Meet Your Teacher:

Welcome to 4th grade. I am Mrs. Susan Smith. This will be my 24rd year teaching at Lourdes Catholic School! I can hardly believe it. I taught 5th grade, 1st grade, and now, this is my seventh year in 4th grade. I love teaching and every year brings new and exciting challenges.I am a graduate of Drake University with a degree in elementary education and a minor in social studies. I believe that every student is special and brings their own uniqueness to our classroom. I look forward to a great year.