Thursday, October 24, 2013

October 24

Happy Thursday! I am sure everyone is looking forward to a nice 3 day weekend.
A few updates:
  • We are now in the unit on the Northeast Region in Social Studies. Hopefully the students showed you the map to study for the states and capitals quiz for this region. I will let you know when that date will be. We will have about 4 chapters on the region before the quiz. I will be sending home the rubric for the National Park project for the Northeast next week.
  • We are on multiplication in math. We are learning to multiply by 2 digits, and working on strategies that can help us.
  • We are working on pronouns in language.
  • We are writing a personal narrative, and refining them by learning about strong leads, character development, and descriptive settings.
  • Tuesday is the Field Trip to the Literature Festival. Remember that students will need to bring their lunch and drink. They may bring money to buy books. We will be leaving as soon as everyone arrives! Hopefully by 8:25!
  • Monday is Sock it to Drugs! Wear your craziest socks with your uniform.
  • If you are participating in the coloring contest, the picture is due Monday.
  • Wednesday is an early dismissal-1:10
  • The Halloween Party is at 2:30, or after the 2:00 parade on Thursday.
  • Mass will be on Friday, due to All Saints Day.
  • Due to the generosity of Miss Maya Hoffmiller, who was principal for the day, 4th grade had an extra recess and was awarded a homework free weekend! Enjoy!

Meet Your Teacher:

Welcome to 4th grade. I am Mrs. Susan Smith. This will be my 24rd year teaching at Lourdes Catholic School! I can hardly believe it. I taught 5th grade, 1st grade, and now, this is my seventh year in 4th grade. I love teaching and every year brings new and exciting challenges.I am a graduate of Drake University with a degree in elementary education and a minor in social studies. I believe that every student is special and brings their own uniqueness to our classroom. I look forward to a great year.